Posts tagged ‘2013 Traveler’
November 23, 2013
The 2013 Google Travel Study conducted by Ipsos is out and I am not enthused. Regular readers will know that I have a low opinion of surveys. At one time I was a stats person so i can’t fault the technical methodology (most of the time) with this year’s in particular. But I don’t think the consumer behaviour bears out the expectations that one can draw from Google’s and its conclusions.
Squillions of people are going to quote liberally from this study to make their points to spend more money on Mobile, Social and Video. Some will even use the “data” to support whole manners of business ideas and even the odd startup or two. But for me here is how I interpret the information that is presented.
Indulge me – this is how I interpret the report and why I think its high time we started thinking for ourselves rather than being pawns in Google’s game.
Timothy’s 10 characteristics of the traveller:
- Lack of trust – everyone lies on the web – reviews are never fully honest.
- Inspiration and Planning are NEVER linear …duh – what is this “funnel” anyway?
- Search is so screwed up in travel that I cannot get what I want when I want it. It’s a terribly frustrating process
- Collaboration is often mistaken for validation (and vice versa)
- Millenials are vastly different from Baby Boomers – Everyone is different, Geographically, Ethnically, Age-wise, me-wise.
- I always use multiple devices AND multiple browsers in planning – frequently because I need to cross reference information.
- Video is a load of baloney. I don’t use it to watch videos – I do it for ways to see if the vendor is lying.
- Mobile does not equal a guy on the street booking a $4000 trip on his smartphone.
- I really need a place to capture, store, sort and process the things I find online that I want to bring together. No one does this.
- I am always looking for planning another trip – mostly the ones I will never take.
Do you agree with me? Well you don’t have to but I do want you to think about it. Read the report, even if it is a low grade work in my opinion. Then try and think about how the ever changing punter out there is being badly serviced. AND why the products and services most players have in the market are really poor and getting not better but actually worse.
Finally please consider the “data”. if you are thinking of going into spending a load of cash on mobile – look very hard before you do. I am SO TIRED of being told how wonderful mobile is. Look at #8 above. Mobile is really about the user being untethered. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t use the Laptop. Do read the study by Expedia and this should help give you some context because that is based on some hard data. Google should be ashamed to put out this garbage.
The link to Google’s study can be found here.
Expedia Comscore’s study can be found here.